Simply put, Brewtoad is a place to create and discover homebrew recipes. Born from an avid brewer and refined by a passionate software company (which includes the avid brewer!), Brewtoad aims to make the recipe creation and brewing process easier and more enjoyable.
It all started on a few hot summer nights in Minneapolis' beloved Warehouse District – or the North Loop is also acceptable. We were inspired by our resident Brewmaster to begin the craft of making delicious beer. As a software/web/design/development/internet marketing company, (our internet marketing team made us do that) we thought this brewing craft fit well with our belief that not all software is created equal.
We pride ourselves on being craftsmen of fine technology – so it was only natural that we should take our beer that seriously too! After all, what goes together better than beer and technology? Fast forward a few months of brewing and realizing there are not many good homebrewing tools on the market and here we are, about to release a homebrew recipe application.
As is the case with any good product or application, we want to get our brainchild into the hands of the people who matter most, in this case – homebrewers. So, you're here, you've found us one way or another, and we couldn't be happier. Our hope is you'll like what you find here, provide us with honest feedback and know that you should come back regularly as we have a whole backlog of exciting features to be released in due time.
In Brewtoad's first release, we strive to offer the richest way for brewers to explore community-submitted recipes. You can find recipes based on style, ingredient and inherent properties such as gravity, bitterness and the all important, ABV.
At a quick glance, these are the current features of Brewtoad. As we continue to release updates, we will keep this list updated in a logical format of some kind. We might even explore a "release" section, but our best strategists are busy figuring out what to do. In the mean time, here is what you'll find on the site right now:
- Easy to get started using Facebook or just simply a profile on Brewtoad.
- Brewtoad is optimized for mobile & tablet devices, so you will not need to buy an extra app just to bring your recipes outside with you.
- We've developed a custom ranking system to let the quality recipes rise to the top (this is part of our secret sauce, err brew).
Search for recipes based on any number of properties including:
- Recipe Type (All grain, partial mash, extract)
- As you build a recipe, Brewtoad dynamically calculates your recipe's properties so you can know what your beer will be like before you brew it.
- One of the most comprehensive ingredient databases on the internet, and the best interface for parsing thousands of ingredient options.
- Worried about manually entering all your current recipes? Worry not – Brewtoad follows the BeerXML standard and allows you to import (or export) your recipes into our database with barely any effort.
- Ingredients are organized by maltster, laboratory, country of origin and other properties.
Looking for a strong beer, but hate a bitter brew and anything made by the Dutch? Brewtoad can find that recipe
Just browsing? Brewtoad lets you save recipes for later referral.
Brewtoad encourages users to create new recipes with an intuitive interface that doesn't bog you down with a million details. Don't want to start from scratch? Pick any recipe on the site and click "create variant" to jump-start the process. Each variants ancestry is tracked, so other brewers can see your recipe's "family tree". (oops, that must be a future feature! Yep, we are a tease)